I don’t usually post symposium notices, but I’d love to attend this one:
Entanglements: materials, practices and design
Symposium: 5th/ 6th May 2011, Nottingham Trent University, UK.
‘Entanglements’ brings art, craft and design together with the human sciences to explore theoretical, creative, empirical and curatorial aspects of our relationships to the material world.
- What are materials? Between raw stuff and human effort
- The effects of stabilisations, closures and re-configuration of materials.
- Materials, objects, experience and playful/ sensual engagement
- Design’s role in practices; making strange/ new materials
- Materials and everyday life, sustainability and transitions
Tim Ingold, University of Aberdeen (Stone); Elizabeth Shove, University of Lancaster (heat); Tim Dant, Lancaster (carbon fibre); Peter Wright, Newcastle (electricity); Yolande Strengers, RMIT (houses); Eiluned Edwards, ntu (cloth); Sophie Woodward, University of Manchester (denim); Tom Fisher, NTU (air); Zoe Laughlin, KCL (‘strange’); Sabine Hielscher, SPRU (shampoo); Sarah Kettley, ntu (metal); Susan Lambert, MoDiP (plastic); Andy Jackson, UCA (wood);
Hopefully someone will write up a report–I’d really like to hear about it.